Friday, February 6, 2015

All Tangled Up...


Zentangled, that is!

This past weekend, I had the opportunity to take a full day of Zentangle classes with a dear friend and colleague, Carol Myers.  Carol is a Certified Zentangle Teacher (CZT) and a pretty amazing mixed-media artist.  I have dabbled in the past with it, having visited the website and trying out some of the "tangles" on my own, but I thought it would be a cool tool to have when trying to spark creativity, especially with my stamp carving for polymer and metal clay designs.

The first tile we did...

The second tile...cadent, printemps, pokeleaf, 'nzepple, 

From the more advanced class...'nzepple,  and fasset 

One of my favorites...based on mooka.

Carol taught this one to illustrate "sparkle" and shading...it really looks 3-D

Practicing mooka, zinger, luv-a

My practice paper, a micron pen, pencil and paper stump to shade with (all freebies from the class!).  The design around the heart is called ruflz.  It took some practice!

The lovely Carol, showing off a very cool pen holder, handcrafted by her wood working hubby, Steve!

Yours truly, Carol, and our friend Bette Brody (another talented artist!)

I may be hooked!  I know I have a lot of practice ahead. Here are several places to learn Zentangles on your own, although I recommend taking a class from a CZT if possible. Here are a few places to learn more...

Zentangle.com
Tangled Patterns
Square One

Zentangle founders Rick Roberts & Maria Thomas have a motto..."anything is possible, one stroke at a time".  I think that holds true for lots of things!


5 comments :

  1. Great job Melissa. It looks like fun but I am not very good at drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done this type of drawing since I was a teenager, I've always loved it! Your work is great and I can see many of them translating to your carvings as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a sweet day. Sweeter by your presence! Can't wait to see where you take this. I know I've amazed myself with the method. The meditative properties are as rewarding as the art! Enjoy! And keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 8 year old daughter and I took a zentangle class a while back and we are both hooked! It's so relaxing and meditative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa, lovely tangles! I've been tangling for a year and find it a wonderful creative outlet that really compliments my jewelry making. Now, in addition to my beading components addiction, I am hooked on pens, markers, pencils, paper . . . If you want to really be inspired, join the Ornation Creation FB group. Amazing artists!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.