Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Texture Time

It's been awhile since I've shared my obsession for texture.
This time I have something very interesting and unusual to share as far as texture goes.


Your eyes are not deceiving you, it's Romanesco Cauliflower/Broccoli!
Isn't it beautiful and unusual, possibly right up there at the top of my list for interesting texture and an amazing Chartreuse color as well.



I found a couple of good areas that had a pretty large amount of flatish spaces that had no damage and pulled out my 2 part mold and made a couple of textures.
I must admit this is the first time I've taken texture from food so had no idea how it would turn out.


This is the result of one of the molds, an amazing amount of detail!


These are the results, pretty cool!!
I'm definitely going to work on getting better and cleaner molds and trying again.
It started as more of a bit of fun but actually turned out to be something I really like.
Goes to show if you think it might work investigate further or if you can just do it, you never know!!!


I played around with a different technique which gives a much deeper dimensional look.
These are unfired and the little bit of shrinkage that happens during firing should make them even sharper.
Now I think I need to work on getting an even better texture from that vegetable!!



I also pulled out my Scratch Foam and started to play, it's been awhile and I'll share my results some time in a later post. For those who don't know what Scratch Foam is take a look at my earlier post where I show a little bit more detail about it and also a previous post about 2 part mold.

Kristi

12 comments :

  1. How beautiful! I also always go around and try to "catch" any structured surface I can find to generate moulds and texture sheets. Mh... but now my partner has to fight for his food with my polymer clay addiction ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely that is! I just want to have a chunk of that in a bowl as a centerpiece! What a great natural texture. Mother Nature sure knows how to do it right. Thanks for sharing your great process! Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic idea! I have never seen broccoli look like that before but I do love the texture and color. Your pendants look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such an interesting vegetable! I know nothing about molds and copper clay, etc. But I wonder if you could do a 3d hollow form with the pointed bits of this? Solid would probably be really heavy, but maybe not? Anyway, very very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya I definitely need to play around with it more. I do want to find a way to get the copper deeper in to the texture for a more 3D look.

      Delete
  5. The produce aisle will never be the same! Fantastic results from your innovative new molds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome texture. Its the artist in you that saw the possibilities there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! I posted a link to this post on my Facebook fan page:
    https://www.facebook.com/Ladyflowersbysusan

    Susan
    Ladyflowersbysusan

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cool! I can't wait to see where you go with that texture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the most creative idea I ever seen! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the texture when you first posted it and I love it all over again

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice!
    I use buttons and stuff like that for texture on polymer clay

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.